Guitar or basically any other instrument can be learned online, without taking any classes, if you know where to look and how to start. Not many people know how to learn guitar online and what directions to take for studying this instrument though. That’s why I’m going to list here a few steps to follow by anyone that desires to learn guitar exclusively online or just to sharpen their guitar skills.
- Firstly, it is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. And we can say that a video is made of a thousand pictures. Can you imagine the teaching power of a video? So, what you need to do is to watch as many guitar related videos as you can and like, study your favorite guitarists and learn their moves. Also, there are many videos made by guitar instructors that usually share a lot of tips and tricks, very helpful to anyone that wants to know how to learn guitar online.
- Learn online guitar exercises. You can do this by watching videos or find online courses that offer a wide range of guitar exercises. It is more important though, to make your own exercises, at least after advancing a little with your guitar practice. Also, since you are not working with a music instructor to point out your mistakes it’s important to identify them and correct them yourself. This will also make you a more confident guitar player.
- No matter what you do, get a metronome. If you are too lazy to go to a music store, I’m pretty sure you will find an online metronome to work with. Even if it sounds too academic, a metronome will improve your rhythm sense and also your progress. In lack of a metronome, tap your foot, it helps.
- There are also online guitar mentorship programs. So, if you really don’t know how to learn guitar online, find an online mentor, or simply become member of a guitar oriented forum. Don’t hesitate to ask for advice with your practice and don’t be ashamed of your guitar skill level even if that particular forum community seems to be made of guitar professionals.
- Last but not least, start practicing songs. Easy songs at first, the ones built on only 2-3 chords, will do. Important to know here, regardless of the rhythm and the speed of the song, always start slow and only after you have become able to play that song perfectly, take it to its normal speed. Eventually, you will be able to learn and play the songs of your idols, the songs that you’ve always wanted to play.